the DCA site - Updating you on DCA and Cancer

DCA Discussion Forum

Subject: "Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemotherap"     Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences Testimonials ONLY Topic #294
Reading Topic #294
Bob999
Member since Nov-22-09
6 posts
Jan-01-10, 04:47 AM (PST)
Click to EMail Bob999 Click to send private message to Bob999 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
"Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemotherap"
 
   My wife, Lin, who is 64 years old and a Vegan for 25 years, was diagnosed with Stage III Ovarian Cancer in November 2009. Following this diagnosis, Lin politely refused Chemotherapy due to the horrendous side effects and is now tackling the disease with a combination of DCA and B17 Laetrile. If we are allowed to, we intend to report on her progress, (both positive and negative) at three month’s intervals.

Initially, due to a minor problem during October 2008, although unknown to Lin at the time, Lin was given a CA 125 cancer marker test. The result of this test, which was only found out by us in November 2009, gave a result of 17.1 U/ml, well within the ‘normal’ range of 0-35 U/ml.

During September 2009 another problem developed. At first Lin was diagnosed with “a possible hernia” but following tests she was passed to a Gynaecologist-Oncologist Consultant (GOC) who ordered further tests. The results of theses tests indicated a large cyst/growth and the GOC undertook a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy on the 13 November 2009. Lin was told on the next day that she had Ovarian Cancer and Stage III (b) Ovarian Cancer was confirmed by the GOC 10 days later from the biopsy samples. We discussed the options and Lin decided that, due to many friends having cancer, (not ovarian) and all having chemo, but all dying within 3 to 5 months of the treatment, she would live the rest of her life without the horrendous side effects of chemo but try to control the cancer with B17 laetrile. Lin was very aware at this time of the Stage III Ovarian Cancer prognosis, even when taking chemotherapy.

Within days of the surgery a friend called and mentioned DCA. (This was the first time we had heard of DCA). Our friend suggested that we called a friend of hers, Derek, who could give us some information about DCA. Derek, who we now know is a registered member on this site, gave us excellent advice and directed us to ‘the DCA site’ and we immediately ordered our DCA from ‘buyDCA’, plus our B17 Tablets.

During the visit to the GOC we were told that during the operation one ovary with a “double fist” size tumour was removed together with the second ovary which also had a smaller tumour. Complete debaulking down to 1cm was also undertaken including the removal of growths from the bowel and abdomen wall. In addition, the appendix and omentum were also removed. We were also advised that the pre-op CA 125 test gave a level of 62.4 U/ml. Lin, although offered, told the GOC that she would not be going on Chemotherapy and was self treating with DCA-B17. The GOC stated that nothing other than chemo had been tested but, although he could not advise, stated that he would support Lin throughout. Our own Doctor, who we visited after, gave us the same support.

So, we started our treatment in earnest on the 29 November 2009 when both the DCA and B17 Tablets had arrived. Our treatment plan is detailed under.

On the 22 December 2009 Lin had a blood sample taken for her first post op CA 125 Test. The results were received on the 29 December 2009 and gave a result of 15.1 U/ml. This is well within the normal range and, we are told, is the level that is hoped for after 6 treatments of chemotherapy. We are very aware that this is now our ‘marker’ and Lin is certainly aware that she is not yet ‘out of the woods’ and that CA 125 levels do drop after surgery, however, we are extremely confident that the 22 days of both the DCA and B17 treatment have contributed to this result. Lin’s next CA 125 test is in 3 months.

Lin’s weighs 60kg and our current daily treatment programme is (daily unless noted) :-

DCA :- (The DCA is taken every other day for 36 days followed by a 7 day ‘holiday’)
* DCA at 11.5 mg/kilo body weight in 50ml of water on alternate days for 36 days (18 doses)
* 2 x 100mg B1 tablet + 200mg B1 from a B1 Complex tablet. Total B1 400mg.
* Approx 240mg of Caffeine from 6 cups of strong Tea

B17 :-
* 1 x 500mg B17 Tablet in 2 x 250mg doses
* 12 Apricot Kernels (non-DCA days only)
* ¼ Pineapple for Bromelain (non-DCA days only)
* 1 x 30mg Co Q10 Tablet
* 2 x 100 mg Zinc Tablets

Plus :-
* 1 x B Complex Tablet (as noted above)
* 1 x 1000mg Vitamin C Tablet
* 1 x Multi-Vitamin Tablet
* 1 x Combined Calcium + Magnesium + Vitamin D Tablet.

I will update this report with Lin’s progress at 3 month intervals following the CA 125 blood tests. I hope that the above information and the monitoring and reporting of Lin’s progress are useful and any constructive comment or advice would be appreciated.

Bob


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemotherap [View All], Bob999, 04:47 AM, Jan-01-10, (0)  
Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
adminadmin
Member since Feb-7-07
276 posts
Jan-01-10, 06:13 PM (PST)
Click to EMail admin Click to send private message to admin Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #0
 
   Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to report all of this; I do hope you get some feedback.
We are hoping things get better for you guys.

Heather
TheDCASite Forum Moderator


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Bob999
Member since Nov-22-09
6 posts
Feb-16-10, 03:40 AM (PST)
Click to EMail Bob999 Click to send private message to Bob999 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #1
 
   This is our first 3 month update following Lin’s operation in November ’09 and her refusal to accept chemo and it’s really good news. Lin has just received her second CA 125 Ovarian Cancer marker blood test result and it has dropped from her first post op level of 15.1 U/ml to 12.0 U/ml (the normal range being 0-35 U/ml).

Lin’s health is excellent and she has increased her weight from 60kg to 63kg. Lin is continuing with the programme of DCA and B17 as detailed in our original posting but with the following changes:-

* DCA increased to 12.5mg/kilo body weight (Lin has not reported any side effects to date)
* Reduced Zinc to 2 x 15mg Tablets (now only 200% of EU RDA)
* Added 1 x 200ug Selenium Tablet
* Added 1 x 500mg Bromelain Tablet

Our next update will be after Lin’s next CA 125 and following her second appointment with her Gynaecologist-Oncologist Consultant in late April ’10.

Bob


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Bob999
Member since Nov-22-09
6 posts
Apr-28-10, 08:30 AM (PST)
Click to EMail Bob999 Click to send private message to Bob999 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #2
 
   This is our second update, 5 months following Lin’s operation in November ’09 and follows her third CA 125 Ovarian Cancer Tumour Marker Blood Test and her second visit to see her Gynaecologist-Oncologist Consultant.

The first two blood test results in Dec ’09 and Feb ’10 were 15.1 and 12.0 respectively; this latest result was 15.2 U/ml. Although the result is well within the normal range of 0-35 U/ml, the rise of 3.2 gave us some apprehension, however the Consultant advised that CA 125 results can fluctuate by much more than 3 points and he would only have some concern should each of the next two or three results continue to rise.

Without any chemo Lin’s health has remained excellent and her weight has stabilised at 64kg for the last 8 weeks. Lin has not had any adverse symptom, (such as swelling or any problems associated with her bowel or bladder) and the Consultant, following his examination and considering the CA 125 results, gave Lin an outstanding report.

However, we are not so naive to even consider that Lin is in remission. Although her operation removed her primary tumour and her debaulking removed all secondary tumours down to 1cm, we must assume that there were many peppered OC cells, clusters or even small tumours left in the abdomen cavity. We believe that the DCA has eradicated many of these cells and that the B17 may well have caught any cells metastasising around her body, but many OC cells, clusters or even small tumours must remain and hence must be destroyed.

Until mid April, Lin had continued with the full DCA and B17 protocol as detailed in our original and second posting but she stopped taking the DCA at this time for a planned 4 week period to try to avoid any remaining OC cells becoming resistant to the DCA. (Incidentally, Lin has had no side effects at all whilst taking DCA). We intent to re-start the full protocol from mid May ‘10 with three cycles of 30 days each, with DCA taken, as previously, at 12.5mg/kg of bodyweight, on alternate days. There will be a 5 day holiday between each cycle. This will take Lin up to her next CA 125 in late August and her next appointment with her Consultant in early September ’10.

We obviously cannot make any comparisons with Lin’s progress, or her prognosis, should she have taken chemo, however we do know that Lin’s body has not been ravaged by the chemo drugs, that she has not had to have any blood transfusions and that her immune system remains intact. We do believe that DCA, with the back-up of B17 has enabled Lin to reach the stage that she is at present and, although it is still ‘very early days’, we are extremely confident that our programme and DCA has every chance of obtaining total remission, but only time will tell.

Our next update will be after Lin’s next CA 125 and following her third appointment with her Consultant in late September ’10.

Bob


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
KylieOz
Member since Nov-23-09
28 posts
May-29-10, 02:10 AM (PST)
Click to EMail KylieOz Click to send private message to KylieOz Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #3
 
   Hi Bob999

I hope all is still going well for you and your wife. Looking forwared to September results.

I noticed Lin takes apricot kurnels (12 a day)....does she have a secret to taking them to make them more palatable? They are very bitter....just thought it was worth asking.


Kylie


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Bob999
Member since Nov-22-09
6 posts
Jun-01-10, 09:32 AM (PST)
Click to EMail Bob999 Click to send private message to Bob999 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemo"
In response to message #4
 
   Hi Kylie,

A response to your B17 apricot kernel question, I agree they are bitter however the very bitter ones are the best:-

Lin grinds her days worth of kernels in a coffee grinder, she then divides the ‘grains’ in to two doses and puts her first dose in a small glass. A small amount of fruit juice is added and the ‘mix’ is drunk. This is the followed immediately by a small amount of water and, I am reliably informed, there is no bitter taste whilst, or after drinking.

Just an update on Lin, currently no symptoms or any problem at all and we remain very confident in DCA but as we know, cancer can creep up very silently so we do await the next CA 125 with some trepidation.

Bob


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
joeyooser
Member since Feb-5-10
16 posts
May-31-10, 09:30 AM (PST)
Click to EMail joeyooser Click to send private message to joeyooser Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #3
 
   I would say you are not using nearly enough DCA to have any effect. Taking such a low dose every other day is unlikely to help much.

If you read the new glioblastoma study, it sounds to me like they did not take rest periods and took doses up to 50 mg/kg and then scaled back when neuropathy set in. They also said it took up to 3 months for the chemical to build up to therapeutic levels in the bloodstream. So for those of us who have been taking the two week on, one week off routine, that may be a mistake. The week off may allow it to completely clear out and therefore lose the therapeutic effects.

I'm changing my protocol based on this - I took 25mg/kg for 3 days to try to get blood levels up, and then I'm going to be taking 12.5mg/kg every day thereafter (no breaks).


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Sandramoderator
Member since Feb-27-07
1178 posts
May-31-10, 11:10 AM (PST)
Click to EMail Sandra Click to send private message to Sandra Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #5
 
Joe,

Just because Dr. M published a paper on FIVE patients, doesn't mean he knows the best protocol for DCA. He had two patients DIE in his trial, likely from using too much DCA:

http://www.thedcasite.com/dcaforum/DCForumID2/197.html

I think Medicor has much more experience and you should take their research more seriously

http://www.medicorcancer.com/news.html

Also, using caffeine with DCA allows for a MUCH lower dose to be used. This has been shown in humans and dogs.

Take care,
Sandra


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
robmx
Member since May-25-09
63 posts
May-31-10, 12:15 PM (PST)
Click to EMail robmx Click to send private message to robmx Click to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #5
 
   I had my best results with DCA in the first two months I was taking it. Two significant reductions in tumor size so I take the information from the Alberta trial with a grain of salt.

I had an emergency CT scan a week ago and it looks like I have had some affect on one of my tumors, first in 10 months. My tumors have been static since last September. My lung tumor, metastatic colon cancer, while still measuring about the same, seems to be breaking up within that same measurement and what appears to me to be supporting vasculature seems to be breaking up as well. I had upped my dose of DCA to 3 grams a day in five day spurts followed by Artemisinin, gram, and Artesunate at 100 mg. The time between CT scans was only from April 5th till May 21st. Next will be end of July I think.

Info from the Alberta study does tempt me to also go with DCA at a lower dose but everyday. Any thoughts?


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
s_irvan
Member since Apr-24-10
2 posts
Jun-01-10, 12:37 PM (PST)
Click to EMail s_irvan Click to send private message to s_irvan Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
9. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #7
 
   Ok people, remember we are ALL different and the amount we use can and will defer between us... That is ok. Remember to listen to your bodies. The more we report on where we are and how we are doing might and should help everyone.
Big Kudo's to Bob and Lin for taking the time to report.

I started last week on DCA. Taking 1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) per day. I took it for 4 days and took the weekend off. Started back up yesterday and plan to take it 5 days on and two days off for a while unless I see or feel something that needs to be changed. DCA is making me dizzy but as my husband and I found it says that can be one of the side effects. I'm trying to down as much caffeine as my body can tolerate but caffeine and I are not very good friends.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Bob999
Member since Nov-22-09
6 posts
Jun-01-10, 12:37 PM (PST)
Click to EMail Bob999 Click to send private message to Bob999 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
10. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #7
 
   Joe,

Thanks for your posting and I note your, and Sandra’s comments relating to dose levels. However most of us are still fishing in the dark because, apart from Alberta and a few other Uni’s doing small trials there has been no real in depth study with DCA.

Many people, on all the continents, are now beginning to believe that DCA has a great potential, but it certainly requires development, refining and trials to change it from a base compound to a drug. From my point of view, any development must exclude any combination with the current chemo drugs. as the greatest benefit of DCA, which is that it does not attack healthy cells, would almost certainly be lost. Unfortunately, the development required will not take place in the near future. Therefore we are only left with conflicting recommendations and opinions, such as those from Alberta, Medicor and this (excellent) Site.

As this site must have the most feedback relating to DCA in the world, we have decided to follow the doses and protocol as suggested, (which certainly appears to have worked for some). However, Lin has only just started her journey and, with no obvious symptoms at the present, we will not know her status until after her next CA 125. If the news is not so good, I can assure you that the dose and protocol will be reviewed.

Bob


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
ccloke
Member since Aug-9-10
1 posts
Aug-17-10, 10:49 PM (PST)
Click to EMail ccloke Click to send private message to ccloke Click to add this user to your buddy list  
11. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #10
 
   Bob, I hope that Lin is doing well.

Have you seen further progress with the treatment and is she tolerating it alright?

With hope,
Cindy


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
CMBCliff
Member since Sep-29-11
1 posts
Sep-29-11, 10:58 AM (PST)
Click to EMail CMBCliff Click to send private message to CMBCliff Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
12. "RE: Ovarian Cancer Stage III – DCA + B17 but No Chemoth"
In response to message #11
 
   Any updates?


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic