Dr. Wrote Her Off Today

Home Forums General DCA Discussion Dr. Wrote Her Off Today

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone,

I had a premonition last night that something bad was going to happen with my wife's cancer so I spent alot of time and found out about DCA and this site. 

Today I go to the Cancer Center where she is and find her sobbing uncontrollably. The radiology oncologist had just told her that her cancer was extremely aggressive and it was probably time to stop radiation and chemo treatments.

After I calmed her down I told her about my new find. We are NOT ready to give up!

She has colon rectal cancer that has metastasized to her liver (a large tumor there) and bones. She has also now  grown a large bump on the top of her skull.

I just ordered 100 grams of DCA powder and a scale. I have also read that she needs B1 and Green Tea.

She is down to 105 pounds and looks like skin and bone which scares the heck out of me.

I've read that a person with tumors needs a larger dose of DCA but how large? 

Can someone…anyone…PLEASE help me. I want to save my wife's life!

I have never used DCA so I can't advise you, but do some reading of past threads here and in the "archived" forum on this site. I'm sure you'll find out what the low, medium and high ranges for dosages are. I agree you will probably want to be on the high side.

I am sorry to hear the hard news, Bugz. I have late stage cancer as well, metatastic tumors in bone and soft tissue, and am skinny as a pencil. I understand how difficult this is for you.

You are already giving your wife all of your love and all of your support, and this is the most important thing you can do. Sharing memories of her younger days may cheer her up and recent research shows this mental excercise may improve health. We do not understand why spontaneous remissions occur, but surely optimism plays a part.

Frequent snacks may be more helpful than three squares a day. I discovered that my stomach shrank as I lost weight and a large meal simply was impossible. If she is using opioids for pain releif (and she should be if the cancer is in the skeleton) then a side effect will be constipation, which makes it even more difficult to maintain food intake. The most gentle and effective laxative I have found is MiraLAX, an osmotic laxative containing only polyethelene glycol. My internist recommended it as being safe enough to use with children, and it's been a lifesaver for me. Even a teaspoon in a glass of water once a day may be enough.

Ask about Fentanyl patches for pain relief. Much more effective than oral meds like Tramadol or Vicodin, and very convenient: the adhesive patch needs to be renewed only once every three days. No more waking during the night for the next round of pills.

R-Lipoic Acid is hepatoprotective and because of the tumor in her liver and the stress from chemo and radiation (everything makes a pass through the liver), it's worth adding, in my humble opinion. Remember, I'm a cancer patient with NO medical training.

Here's an example of R-Lipoic:

Again, I am not a doctor but in a situation similar to that of your wife, I would use an aggressive dose of DCA, on the order of 20 or 25 mg/kg of body weight.

If she weighs 105 pounds, then to convert to kilograms divide by 2.2. Rounding up, this is nearly 48 kg.

At 20 mg/kg this means a dose of 950 mg DCA per day.

At 25 mg/kg the dose would be approximately 1.2 grams of DCA per day.

Dissolve the DCA in COLD, never hot, water or another beverage.

Green tea can't hurt and tastes good. Vitamin B1 helps to minimize peripheral neuropathy, which she may already have from chemo. Some say that Benfotaimine is more effective; those with diabetes recommend it highly.

Some good observations by DCAsite forum member satx:

Best wishes to you and your wife.

P.S. Is she on any other alternative treatments? Here are a few other possible treatments for late stage cancer that I'd consider trying if it were me. There's still time to find this cancer's achilles' heel, but whatever you try you probably want to quickly work up to a pretty high dose to see if there's a response. Be sure to do some research on your own before trying any of these, so that you understand how they work and what to expect.

- curcumin (a common cancer dose is 8g (8,000 mg) per day

- gamma-linolenic acid (found in evening primrose oil, borage oil)

- Celebrex

- fish oil (contains EPA and DHA) – risk of bleeding problems and immunosuppression with high doses, but omega-3 oils have a profound effect on cell membranes, so fish oil could be a game changer

- bee products – might as well go for royal jelly plus bee pollen plus propolis; all have well documented anticancer properties

- ketogenic diet, i.e. a super low carb diet, think Atkins Diet induction phase

Oh my gosh! I never expected such a quick response. Thank you everyone! Your info was very helpful. After I get to the hospital this am I'll start following the links on her Ipad.

She's only on conventional medicine at this time, nothing alternative. Yes she is on morphine pills for pain, long acting (every 8 hrs.) and short acting (every 4 hrs.) and yes she gets constipated unless I stay on top of it. I do use Miralax and Walgreens Senna S pills to keep her going. I also have fleet enemas as a back up.

I cook for her and also us Scandi Shakes for high calories. The way I make them I get about 700 calories in each one and I get 2 of those down her a day plus the food. Yes, her stomach has shrunk too so I have to get food in her a little at a time.

She does have peripheral neuropathy from chemo. She complains about her finger tips tingling quite a bit.

Does anyone know the dose of B1 to give her to stop it? It drives her crazy.

Gotta get going to the hospital. To those that responded, thanks again for being so helpful!

At least now I don't feel so alone in this.

Hang in there! One more thing, I forgot to mention she MUST get plenty of vitamin D, minimum 2,000 IU per day. I personally take 6,000 IU. Vitamin D is the only vitamin or alternative therapy that has ever been recommended to me by an oncologist, in fact by 2 different oncologists. Some of it can come in the form of lots of sunshine if she's having trouble getting enough food down.

After reading and reading and reading I feel like I'm in a catch 22 situation here.

I'm trying to get her to gain weight so I've been making her Scandi Shakes that have about 700 calories each after I add 20 grams of extra protein into each one so thats 28 grams of protein included in the 700 calories per shake.

The problem is, those shakes have 30 grams of sugar in each shake and I make her two each day! I've read that sugar feeds cancer so in effect I'm helping the cancer grow and kill her, right?

To make matters worse, she had to have radiation therapy on her neck early on where the cancer was growing out of her bones and pressing on her spinal cord. It was done from the front to the back so now she has trouble swallowing food unless it's really soft.

Does anyone know of any unsweetend shakes or something else that would help her gain some weight? I could sweeten them with stevia or splenda. The reason I say shakes is because the coolness feels good on her throat.

As an update: I did order the dca powder and scale from the dca store dot com on Thursday night so it should be here sometime this week. They say they ship out the next business day so I'm hoping their word is good.

One more thing: To those of you that have taken the time to post on this thread and offer help and suggestions, THANK YOU! I appreciate it more than you know!

I have colon cancer, which mastisized to my liver and lungs. I take 3 capsules of DCA a day…500 mg capsule.  I take it with each meal.

I was on it for a month…2 weeks on…1 week off, and was taking 1gr a day…and it has been upped to 1.5 gr.

Good luck. Its a big jouney …Who knows. DCA may be the big missing piece in her puzzle.  Best wishes!

Good observation about the shakes. Giving her a sugar bomb won't help her normalize her metabolism or fight off the cancer. Stevia and Splenda/sucralose are both fine, IMO. I mainly use stevia. Not Aspartame, though.

You can buy unsweetened whey protein powder yourself and make the shake, and add some omega-3 oils or open up some vitamin capsules or put in whatever else is needed.

BTW, you can buy whey powder with the protein lactoferrin included, which IMO is totally worth the extra cost. Look up lactoferrin and cancer, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Some of the studies are done with human lactoferrin (or "talactoferrin"), which may be even better than bovine lactoferrin but I'm not sure this has really been proven.

Stupid question probably but I'm not sure and don't want to start this wrong. 

Does anyone know FOR SURE that DCA has to be disolved/taken with water? I'm thinking about mixing it in with a little room temperature apple sauce and giving it to my wife that way instead because she gets nauseated so easily.

Today will be her first day on DCA so I'm going to start her off on one small dose of 200mg just to make sure she can tolerate it.

Any ideas?

DCA is an acid and is nutralized with Na. So, what we buy is a salt Na-DCA which is disolved in water into ions Na+ and DCA-. This way, DCA- can enter into blood stream and travel to tissues. So, a solution of DCA with apple sauce might be as good, but I am not sure about it. The most important thing is NOT mixing DCA with hot stuff becauses it loses its structure. 

Bugz and all: 

I am an MD, oncologist, in cancer medicine since 1963.  I have used DCA and we have just submitted a manuscript involving a man with  NHL (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) who had failed chemo and then went into a complete remission (CR) using ONLY DCA.  His remission continues now at 4 years and 8 months.  

We are starting an active research protocol in the Bahamas (Nassau) shortly.  For those of you who have advanced cancer and are in dire straits, and who have access to DCA of biological grade, the dose we have used (but do not know for sure the optimal dose) is 10  mg/kg. This is dissolved in cold water and given as two 5  mg/kg doses about 12 hours apart.  Usually we rest the patient on Saturdays and Sundays but perhaps in the first two weeks consider every day.  

Adjuncts to be used with DCA are really needing clarification.  We just do not know what is best to use with DCA.  The gent above used the following: 

DCA mixed with 1 can of Mountain Dew (contains 55mg caffeine). B1 @ 500mg/d (Country Life); Alpha lipoic acid 600mg bid (Doctor’s Best Alpha-lipoic acid. Also took Jarrow Green Tea 500mg bid containing 74mg of EGCG per 500mg. 

Caffeine in Jarrow Green Tea 500mg capsule = 35mg; therefore 70mg of caffeine + 55mg in Mountain Dew = 125mg per day caffeine. 

Ideally, you need to find a  healthcare practitioner (HCP) who will follow the patient. 

In those patients with  BC (breast cancer) or  CRC (colorectal cancer) it appears from the  peer-reviewed literature involving human tumor cell lines (not studied in patients yet) that DCA shows synergy with  5-FU (used in both CRC and BC) and also that taxanes such as Taxol and Taxotere may have synergy with DCA. 

I hope this helps. 

Stephen B. Strum, MD, FACP

Does anyone know or has anyone had any experience with DCA killing cancer in the bone?

I don't know if I'm fighting a lost cause here with my wife or not. I'm a realist and realize that everything has it's limit. However, I still feel like I'm starting to panic.

The issue is not where the cancer has spread to (metastasized) but to the original site where the cancer arose from.  The sensitivity of a particular cancer type to DCA is or should be dependent on its need to use glucose for metabolism.  In such patients having a tumor with this need, the  PET (Positron Emission Tomography) scan will be abnormal indicating an avid uptake of glucose by the metastases.  These are the patients that should respond to DCA if further use of DCA confirms efficacy.  

other issues not to forget are the ability to reduce tumor cell growth by dietary energy restriction (DER)  e.g., suggest search info on ketogenic + calorie restricted diets (KG-R diets) as well as avoiding glutamates in the diet since the latter is a fuel for cancer. 

Board Certified Medical Oncologist

The original site or cancer type is colon cancer which metastisized to her liver and bones.

As far as the diet goes, I'm dealing with a bunch of her family members who think they know EVERYTHING! I've told them NOT to bring her sugary foods so what do they do? Bring her milk shakes, ice cream and all the junk, hi sugar food you could imagine. She's in a place where I can't control it because I'm not always there. They don't listen anyway and bring this stuff in all the time even though I tell them that they're killing her. They consider me the stupid one.

They say they need to put weight on her because she's down to 98 pounds so they think by bringing her all this crappy food she's going to gain weight. It's not working.

<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

Do not take the aggressive and lay guilt by saying you think they are killing her. That will not accomplish anything.  

If you have the ability, go to PubMed at  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/ and simply enter into the search box the words Ketogenic Diet. 

You can also do a search on Seyfried T, 

Thomas Seyfried has written a magnificent book entitled "Cancer as a Metabolic Disease".  You can get that via Amazon. Chapter 17 deals with dietary approaches to cancer. Seyfried is highly respected at Boston University.  The book is of paramount importance and melds with much of the scientific discussion on DCA that you may find on the DCA forum. 

Again, if there was a way to convince the MDs to obtain a FDG PET/CT scan and it showed major uptake of the isotope, then a trial of DCA alone or DCA +  5-FU would be reasonable, along with the dietary approaches detailed by Seyfried. 

Medical Oncologist–Board Certified since 1975

Member of  ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments Off

Comments are closed.