DCA solubility in water

Home Forums General DCA Discussion DCA solubility in water

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mike2012 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mike2012
    Participant

I recently purchased some sodium DCA from a compounding pharmacist, and when I try to dissolve it in cold water, it turns into a clear sticky gel.  Is this usual?  Thanks for your inputs.

mitochondriac
    Participant

Mike,

Two questions:

How much DCA are you mixing per dose, and are you measuring it by weight or by volume?

What volume of water are you mixing the DCA into?

Thanks,

Mito

mike2012
    Participant

Mito, I tried dissolving 320 mg sodium DCA in about 3 oz of cold water.  I assumed the DCA would dissolve easily, but instead I got a sticky clear gel.  So, I am wondering if I was given DCA by my compounding pharmacist or something else.  Thanks.

Mike

mitochondriac
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. A little more information would help:

Was the 320 mg sodium DCA pre-measured and contained by the pharmacist in a gelcap or veggiecap? Or did you weigh loose crystals onto a scale?

Pure sodium DCA in the ratio you describe should completely dissolve in water in the same way you would expect of a small amount of salt or sugar.

If the DCA was containerized by the pharmacist into individual doses, the capsule or container might account for the gelatinous consistency you describe.

If the DCA was pre-measured into invididual doses then I wonder why you would dissolve the capsule in water rather than just swallow the pill?

Thanks,

Mito

mike2012
    Participant

Hi Mito,

The 320 mg doses were pre-measured by the pharmacist & put in veggie caps.  Since 320 mg of DCA would not fill a whole 00 veggie cap, and given your reply that DCA should dissolve easily in water (like salt or sugar), I'm thinking that the gelatinous material must be some kind of excipient used to "dilute" the DCA in order to fill the whole cap.

Do most people who use DCA simply swallow the caps, or do they dissolve the DCA in water (as in Michelakis' 2010 paper) and drink the solution?

Thanks!

Mike

mitochondriac
    Participant

Hi Mike,

It sounds like the capsule is responsible for the "clear sticky gel" you find when you dissolve the DCA (with capsule) in water. The vast majority of people experimenting with DCA buy it in powder form from one of the online sources, and then weigh or measure the correct dose as determined by their weight, at home.

Having a pharmacist pre-measure the dose is convenient, but rather than dissolve the capsule before taking the DCA I think you would do as well to just swallow the capsule with a glass of water, as one would with any medication. Why not phone your pharmacist and clarify how it is intended to be taken?

Thanks,

Mito

mike2012
    Participant

Hi Mito

I was following the protocol of Michelakis, who had his clinical trial subjects dissolve their DCA in water.  So, I opened the capsule and attemped to dissolve the contents in water; a sticky clear gel formed immediately but the veggie cap was not part of the brew.  I believe this must be an excipient of some kind.  I will talk to my pharmacist and ask him about this strange reaction.  Thanks for your inputs.

Mike

titi91
    Participant

Hi,

Few months ago, we lost a 20 gr  of DCA, which was localy put in caps by a pharmacist. Because after less than one month and half the caps shell  has melted and everything was mixed, glued in a single block. 

Thierry

mike2012
    Participant

Hi Thierry,

That sounds like a disaster!  Did the pharmacist replace the DCA for free or did you bear the expense?

Mike

mike2012
    Participant

I went to see the compounding pharmacist today and found out that he used methylcellulose as a filler (excipient) in the DCA.  Unfortunately, methylcellulose produces long lasting gels (even though it is ultimately water soluble).   When you make a particular dosage in capsule form, you will usually use some kind of filler, mixed with the DCA.  My wife's capsules contained 313 mg DCA, two of these taken twice daily will give 25 mg/kg/day of DCA.

This particular formulation of DCA (using methylcellulose as a filler), didn't lend itself very well to dissolving the powder in water & then drinking the solution.

Mike

mike2012
    Participant

Thanks!

M

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments Off

Comments are closed.