DCA and Mesothelioma

Home Forums General DCA Discussion DCA and Mesothelioma

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  billgeorge777 6 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

billgeorge777
    Participant

Hi everyone I was diagnosed with a stage 4 Mesothelioma. Having beaten Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma ten years ago I was recently afflicted with this disease. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any success in treating this form of cancer using DCA or any other treatment. I have had the conventional chemo (Alimpta/Carboplatin and Tarceva),  but I am gradually getting worst. I have been on DCA for some time now and maybe (I am not really sure) it is keeping the disease stable. There has been no tumor shrinkage with any of the conventional treatments or DCA.. I don’t know what amount to take as I am self-medicating. I started off with very low doses and have  significantly increased the amount with no obvious effect. If anyone out there has had any success treating Mesothelioma could you please let me know?

Thanks

Anonymous

I have no direct experience with DCA or mesothelioma. Here are a couple of data points I found in my notes that may prove useful. The 2 proteins mentioned below are anti-apoptotic, i.e. they keep cancer cells from dying when stressed, so in general they are probably best targeted in conjunction with some kind of direct attack on the cancer cells (such as DCA).

Downregulation of Bcl-xL and Mcl-1 is sufficient to induce cell death in mesothelioma cells highly refractory to conventional chemotherapy

http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/content/31/6/984.full

- "Strikingly, we observed that the simultaneous inhibition of Bcl-xL and Mcl-1 using small interfering RNA (siRNA) induced a massive cell death in the absence of chemotherapy"

Gossypol is a significant inhibitor of Mcl-1/Bcl-2/Bcl-xL. It has been used in humans as a male contraceptive, so presumably it has an acceptable safety profile. I don't know if it's currently available for human consumption and I cannot suggest what a therapeutic or a toxic dose might be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossypol

Parthenolide (feverfew) downregulates Bcl-xL.

EGCG (green tea extract) downregulates MCL-1.

These are just from my notes, without doing any new research. You may find that many other anticancer compunds (curcumin, genistein, quercetin, gamma-tocotrienol, pterostilbene/blueberries, cinnamon, garlic, selenium, etc. etc.) have the same effect on one or both of the proteins.

Hope this is useful. Keep us posted on what seems to work or not work.

billgeorge777
    Participant

Since posting this message I have since been diagnosed with Mycosis Fungoidies stage III (Cutaneous T- Cell Lymphoma). I have been suffering from a rash that everyone thought to be spongiatic dermatitis (eczema). I initially developed this rash almost a year ago and it progressively became worst. I was recommended to see a dermatologist who took two biopsies that revealed the rash to be a drug eruption. I was given oral anti-histamines and topical steroids and was told that it would eventually ‘melt away’.

Several months went by and the rash became worst. The itching was intolerable and I had found myself only getting around 3-4 hours’ sleep every night. Went back to the dermatologist who thought the rash could be a post neoplastic syndrome and needed another biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. After another 2 skin biopsies they now claimed it was spongiatic dermatitis or eczema. I was told to go home and use a stronger topical steroid ointment with cold water compresses to relieve the symptoms and oral steroids (prednisone). The rash still persisted and became worst. I realized that it was now time to get a second opinion. The new dermatologist wasted no time and took several larger skin biopsies. The results were startling and upsetting. I was confirmed this rare form of skin cancer. The cancer progressed from patches to plaques and now is erythrodermic. I am about to have a PET scan and bone marrow test to see if there is any disease progression.

I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would have one deadly cancer (my current mesothelioma) and now to be diagnosed with a late stage skin lymphoma.

Can anyone please help??

Dan52
    Participant

billgeorge777
    Participant

I have seen the Mesotheioma case on the Medicore site.

The only problem I see is that I may have a resistance to DCA as I have taken in extensively at varying doses when I was initially diagnosed with the Mesothelioma and it had no effect.

Does anyone know if this is possible for certain individuals to be resistant to DCA that it has no effect on their cancers??

I read somewhere on this site that DCA doesnt work on all people, maybe this is the case for me.

Jim
    Keymaster

I halped a close friend who had pleural mesothelioma. He ultimately died, but tetrathiomolybdate (TM for short) added several years, good years, to his life. TM proved very effective against mesothelioma. It is cheap, safe and unpatentable. It chelates copper and blocks blood vessel formation in tumors. You might consider adding TM to your protocol.

http://www.thedcasite.com/Alternate_therapies/tetrathionmolybdate_treatment.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18640301

billgeorge777
    Participant

Thank you for the info. Sorry to hear about your friend. It is an aggressive disease that claims many lives and as yet there is no cure. I think there is only one long living survivor (17 years and is here in Australia).

I will try to obtain some TM but it may be a problem getting it from the US to here in Australia. Hopefully it may work as the DCA has not made any difference. I was hoping that it would have some effect on my recently diagnosed skin cancer but it seems that I am one of the unlucky few who it has no effect on.

Thanks again for your help.

Anonymous

Bill George, 

I am an MD. It would help if you posted what dose you are using and any adjunctive meds or supplements you are taking.  Also, what is the baseline measurement of the tumor, is it localized to one side of the thorax, is their pleural effusion (fluid) and if so, is it free flowing (moves when you have an  x-ray lying down vs standing upright). 

Stephen B. Strum, MD, FACP

billgeorge777
    Participant

Thank you for your interest in my case.

I am currently on (Supplements) Ubiquinol, carnitine, Alpha and R-Lipoic Acid, Vitamins B1, E and D3, Curcumin, Niacin, DIM, Indole-3-Carbinol, Magnesium, Selenium, Glutathione, Probiotics, MCP, Genisteine and Quercetin.

My meds are Prednesone 22.5mg daily, Karvea 75 mg, Oroxine 100 mcg and Lasix 80 mg.

Started oral Methorexate 2.5 mg for the MF yesterday. Have to increase to 5 mg for the next 2 weeks and will be reviewed in week three.

The Mesothelioma CT scan, Lobulated pleural thickening in the left hemithorax (mesuaring 19 mm) particularly posteriorly in the upper zone and laterally and inferiorly on the lower zone. There are some prominent left para-aortic lymph nodes. A right retrocrural node has a short diameter of 14 mm and a right tracheal bronchial node with a short axis of 14 mm is also noted.

There is a small right pleural effusion with right pleural thickening.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments Off

Comments are closed.