Boston Terrier DCA Treatment

Home Forums General DCA Discussion Boston Terrier DCA Treatment

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  wcytim 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #3431

    BostonColorado
    Participant

    January 16, 2012

    I am starting this log to show progress with DCA treatment on my 11 year old Boston Terrier.  He suddenly didn't want to eat several days after Christmas, 2011.  I immediatly took him into our Vet. and they did ultra-sound and x-rays on him and his spleen was swollen.

    We removed his spleen which was as big as my fist from a 30 lb dog. The results came back several days later that was a Hemengio Sarconoma. At least in this region, there has been a run of these in dogs in the last 6 months. Usually a "big dog" disease, they have shown up in all types.

    The Vet Clinic is very good and has been our animals Dr.'s for many years. They have never given us such a grimm prognosis on any of our animals before.

    They said "chemo" (Doxorubicin Chemotherapy) had not been successful an any of the animals they had treated in the last 6 months. One of the dogs was our Dr's Chocolate Lab.

    I happened on DCA on NPR News that I read on my iPhone avidly. I ran on a story about experamental treatments in some Universities in Canada. I looked at the studies and the double blind treatments and decided to look into it.

    Skipping forward: I instructed our Veterinarian to have the right amount of DCG/caffene mixed by a pharmacist. I got the mix today and bought some vitamin B-1 from the local healthfood story and starting to give our Boston Terrier the DCG mixure today.  We will give him 1 pill 2X a day, 5 days a week with 2 days rest.

    It has been 2 weeks since we received his diagnosis on Jan 2nd.  The Boston's name is Grainger.

    Begin Log:

    Jan 16th – Grainger's general since of well being is good. He has clear looking eyes and energy.

    #4111

    BostonColorado
    Participant

    01/22/12 End of Week 1:  Grainger is looking good. No visiable negative side effects. We are going 5 days on, 2 days off the DCA/caffiene/B1. He has a lot of energy, I think I'm getting my Boston Terrier hooked on caffiene. haha  In addition, I am fixing him a cup of Black Tea every day with a little bit of honey and milk in it. He laps it up.

    side note: Everyone swears the cataracts that looked milky in the back of his eyes are going away. Maybe it's hopeful thinking but it looks like they're disolving to me too.

    #4147

    BostonColorado
    Participant

    Feb 3rd: Still all good. He looks great still. I am still giving him 75mg 2X a day with caffeine. I also give him a cup of black tea once a day with a bit of honey and a dab of milk.

    He bounces around like a puppy. He's very spoiled now. He gets anything he wants except if it's bad for him. He is very vocal if he wants to walk or go for a car ride!! LOL

    See you all next week! thanks

    #4158

    Anonymous

    I really appreciate you keeping us updated on his progress Boston! It's great to hear Grainger is doing so well on DCA!! Keep up the good work. My best friend who happens to be a 7 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with lymphoma back in October 2011. We have been doing many different therapies for him (ie: acupuncture, mushrooms, MMS, herbs, frankinsence oil, etc.) and he is doing beautifully. I have been wanting to add DCA but haven't found much information on dosages for dogs. Would you mind sharing how you deteremined the correct dosage and what source you used. I'm actually in Colorado as well :) up in Fort Collins. Thanks so much in advance. 

    #4179

    BostonColorado
    Participant

    Grainger is weakening and has tremors. I am taking him off the DCA/caffiene/B1 for now. I'm hoping he is clean of the carcinoma he had in his spleen which was removed in December.

    We had him on the DCA combo 5 days a week with 2 days off since the middle of January.  I noticed the tremors at the end of each week for a month but suddenly he has weakened too. He is still in great spirits (Boston Terrier characteristic anyway) and is able to barely climb the stairs. Unable to jump on the couch anymore.

    I'm taking him off the DCA until he impoves. I will take him for plenty of walks and keep in in a good mood. I'm hoping the cancer is gone and it's just the DCA side effects.

    I posted these updates because although I love my dog, I thought for human use this might be helpful and informative. I will keep checking back in to keep you all updated. I'm hoping he regains his strength. It took a couple month before he got this way from the DCA so I assume it will take awhile to get the DCA's 1/2 life to wear off. When he recovers it will be a tough decistion if to put him back on it or not.

    At least this will tell us if he recovers that the tremors can be overcome. Also, time will tell a lot of scenarios. He passes sooner: The DCA had little effect, He recovers and passes several months down the road; the DCA had an effect and we needed to continue the treatment or Hopefully this is the scenario; he recovers from the tremor side effects from the DCA and lives at least another couple years (or more) since a Boston Terrier's life expectancy is about 13 years, meaning it worked.

    I will keep checking in. Good luck everyone! I'm hoping for the best not only because I love my puppy dog but I really want all of you fighting this disease to have another alternative that will work.  

    #4180

    Anonymous

    Thank you for keeping us update and good luck.

    #4186

    SusanW
    Participant

    Hi, I sent you a private message a couple of months ago about dosages.  Well, I started my 11 year old Doberman ( 90 lb) on 500mg DCA ( about 12 mg./kg), 500 B1 and 200 mg. caffine. She is continuing on her chemotherapy, but the vet told me that bascially her lung tumors were growing, she was coughing more and that she would not recover, but that they could keep her comortable. I figured I had nothing to lose by adding her DCA protocol.

    After one month she was obviously feeling fine and her coughing was eliminated she was taking long hour walks and had gained 3 pounds, then she started leg tremors and had difficulty jumping on bed.  I assumed this was the DCA neuopathy and stoped the DCA and caffeine, but not the B1 for 7 days.  Her leg symptoms stopped ater 5 days and she was able to jump on my bed, but I waited 2 more days.

    Two days ago I started her back on 400 mg DCA (lowered to about 10mg/kg, which apparently can be therapeutic), still on the 200 caffeine and now 500 mg. in the morning and another 500 mg. at night. (it was my understanding that the B1 was helpful for the neuopathy). I will watch closely for any signs of neuropathy and stop DCA again if necessary, however, with all symptoms gone and having a happy playful dog, I feel it is the DCA that must be shrinking the tumors.  She has another x-ray in a few weeks which will definitely tell if the tumors are shrinking, right now I am only basing her imporvement on my observations.

    Obviously, my advise is to restart the DCA at 10 mg./ kg, along with the rest of your protocol just as soon as you see the neuopathy symptoms disappear.  You might get some other feed back on how much B1 dogs can take and check to make sure that my assumption (that it helps the neuropathy) is correct.

    My best wishes to you.

    Susan

    #4187

    SusanW
    Participant

    PS  I could not edit my post above and wanted to be clear about new dosage: It should read:

    …still on the 200 mg. of caffeine (100 mg in AM and 100 mg in PM) and now 500 mg. of B1 in the morning and 500 mg of B1 at night.

    #4238

    BostonColorado
    Participant

    3/28/2012

    This will be hopefully my last update (hopefully).

    Grainger has fully recovered from the DCA side effects (neuropathy, trimmers/muscle weakness).

    He's is full of energy again, dancing, jumping into the car and onto couch. He seems to be doing really well. I'm leaving him off the DCA for now.

    On a side-note: As in bulldog breeds, Boston Terriers get little fatty tumors. He had one on his chest that had been there for about a year. I was NOT giving him DCA for this but as an observance; the fatty tumor that was about the size of a golf ball has reduced size to about the size of a quarter. DCA may be a good treatment for genetic tumor growths.

    I hope my postings have helped someone. I really think it was a success. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

    #4240

    SusanW
    Participant

    I’m delighted to hear your news and glad that life is good for Grainger. Are you going to be keeping him on a maintenance dose (maybe lower) of DCA to keep the cancer from reoccurring?

    My Nettie appears to feel fine and she is active and enjoying life. When I lower her dose she does develop her cough, then if I increase the dosage she gets the neuopathy. I am switching between 400mg and 500mg. of DCA.

    She gets x-rays next week and I will then know for sure if her lung tumors are shrinking or are possibly gone. I am going to share this treatment with the vet oncologist at that time and am interested in what her reaction will be.

    Susan

    #4257

    inescanavarro
    Participant

    Hi all,

    I have decided to trust your posts as right now I have nothing to lose. My 12 year old spaniel has terminal breast cancer, and after 4 surgeries the vet suggested chemo, which I declined as it is usually not successfull and would take away all of her quality of life (which she has, she is in good spirits, playfull and active for now). She has mets all over her belly but not in any major organ, so I'll give DCA a try. My question is: did any of you took any particular care introducing DCA therapy gradually, or did you just went for it? Also does anybody know of any interaction with other medication? She is on prednisone to delay growth, any ideas?

    Many thanks for any help you can provide, and good luck for all your pets.

    Ines

    #4275

    Anonymous

    I have a 10 yr old Bishon that has bone cancer starting in his skull right now. The vet said there is nothing they can do for him. We try to keep his right nostril clear as there is always a lot of mucus coming out of it. He will not eat dry food anymore, just soft food and really doesn't get excited anymore like he used to. He was a vibrant dog and he is just so placid now. We heard about DCA and ordered it. We are going to try it and will post follow ups to let you know how it goes. We pray that it at the least it may extend his life as the cancer is supposed to be rapid growing. I was happy to hear about the above posts and the dogs that did respond well to it. Will keep you all in prayer. Many thanks and good luck with treating your pets.

    Holly

    #4561

    Patti
    Participant

    Just got the diagnosis of Squamous Cell Ca of the tonsil   (very aggressive) in a 10year old Miniature Schnauzer.  Am going to the Vet early Monday for an evaluation for metastasis and since the tonsil did not have clear margins may need additional surgery.  I bought DCA in 2006 in case Alexis brother who was diagnosed at 4 yo with Lymphoma needed it as a last resort –but by the grace of God he is now 10 and has been in total remission since 1 week after his diagnosis.  I didnt need it for him but now it looks like I will need to take this road with his sister.  I have sodium DCA 99% pure pharmaceutical quality but expires in June 1012 —is it okay to use or not — and what dose do you give a 17.7lb dog.  URGENT… need a current primer on DCA.

    Patti & My darling Alexis

    #4624

    Anonymous

    To All, 

    Interesting posts but for me as a medical oncologist interested in making sure that reports of DCA's success are indeed valid, some of the emails above do not have sufficient information.  For example, the post by BostonColorado mentions a hemangiosarcoma of the spleen.  The spleen was removed.  Was there evidence of metastases before the DCA was started?  If not, then how does anyone know what DCA was in fact doing? 

    The adjunctive agents like caffeine and benfotiamine may or may not be useful. In our patient (human) with  NHL (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) he used the following: 

     DCA mixed with 1 can of Mountain Dew (contains 55mg caffeine). B1 @ 500mg/d (Country Life); Alpha lipoic acid 600mg bid (Doctor’s Best Alpha-lipoic acid. Also took Jarrow Green Tea 500mg bid containing 74mg of EGCG per 500mg. 

     

    Caffeine in Jarrow Green Tea 500mg capsule = 35mg; therefore 70mg of caffeine + 55mg in Mountain Dew = 125mg per day caffeine. 

     

    The above are does in a 90 Kg man.  They should NOT be used in a dog, unless it is a 90 kg dog, and even with that I do not know how DCA is handled by dogs. 

     

    The dose we are employing is much lower than the 25-50  mg/kg dosing used by Michelakis or by Stacpoole (in treating children with congenital disorders of lactic acidosis).  We are using 10  mg/kg given in two divided doses of 5  mg/kg for 5 days out of 7 days, rest 2 days and resume.  Careful attention to peripheral neuropathy.  Agents like  ALC (acetyl L-carnitine) at a human dose of 500 mg four times a day may or may not be worthwhile.  

     

    This site can be of great value if we those posting continue to share  follow-up, doses, adjunctive agents used, and understand the importance of baseline testing to know the dog or human status before DCA has been started with  follow-up testing done to assess efficacy.  It's bad enough that so many of my colleagues are close minded or that the costs of some anti-cancer meds are so outrageous but at least on this site let's try to optimize the information shared.  

     

     Stephen B. Strum, MD, FACP

    Board Certified: Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology

    #4645

    wcytim
    Participant

    Hi All,

     

    It's great to read so many success stories of DCA treating cancer on pets or improving their conditions. My 10 yo cat has just been diagnosed with lymphoma (tissue removed and sent to biopsy) and here in Hong Kong the only treatment available is chemo which the vet doesn't recommend. Since his condition is getting worse by the day I thought I might give DCA a shot.

     

    Thanks so much and I wish everyone get well from this almost miraculous finding. 

     

    Cheers

    Tim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments Off

Comments are closed.