Actual Basis for Vitamin B1 in Protocol?

Home Forums General DCA Discussion Actual Basis for Vitamin B1 in Protocol?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lauracurnowasw007 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have found really no literature indicating the vitamin B1 has antitumor properties, but a number of suggestions that it can accelerate tumor growth, e.g.

http://altcancerweb.com/alternative-cancer/Thiamine-Cancer.pdf

In this paradigm, the fact that cancer patients may be deficient in B1 is attributed to the increased cancer cell consumption of B1. And tumor hypoxia is said to upregulate thiamine transport activity.

http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/cbt/07SweetCBT10-11.pdf

In fact oxythiamine, a thiamine inhibitor, is thought to have antitumor properties of its own.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/57/19/4242.full.pdf

So I'm wondering whether there's a sound basis for including it in the standard DCA protocol. I know the reason given is that it helps mitochondrial function, but I'm wondering whether its inclusion has ever been empirically tested.

mitochondriac
    Participant

My only reason for taking B1 with DCA is to prevent or relieve pain from peripheral neuropathy.

A few years ago diabetic patients, who also experience PN, discovered a fat and water soluble form of B1, Benfotiamine, which is more effective at dulling PN than plain old B1.

Anonymous

Seems like a valid reason, given the well-known side effects of DCA. I have never taken DCA, so I can't comment on how B1 counteracts the specific mechanism in it that causes neuropathy. However a superficial search in Google and Google Scholar bring up more studies suggesting that vitamin E or alpha-lipoic acid might be more effective in general.

Anonymous

Yes, I just searched on benfotiamin, and the benfotiamin site cited studies showing that thiamin encouraged tumor growth.  So if the B1 doesn't somehow increase the efficacy of the DCA, I wonder if I shouldn't avoid it?

–Anomar

titi91
    Participant

Hi,

The alpha lipoic acid -R, this substance increases the level of glutathione in the brain. Glutathione protects the brain from damage caused by free radicals (low glutathione in the brain is associated with neurological diseases such as dementia, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's or ….).

If you stop B1 and use alpha lipoic acid – R, you must be careful of your glucose if you are diabetic.

use only ALPHA LIPOIC ACID -R Which is a natural product

do not use ALPHA LIPOIC ACID which is a synthetic molecule

Anonymous

I know I was the one to bring up ALA and vitamin E, but we should keep in mind that glutathione also protects CANCER cells against oxidative stress, which is one of the main mechanisms by which DCA works against tumors.

Antioxidants can interfere with chemo and radiation treatments for cancer, whereas glutathione-depleting substances tend to work synergistically with them. I did some brief research online and didn't find any strong evidence (e.g. comparative tests), but I did find suggestions that antioxidants would logically interfere with DCA's activity.

Anonymous

Just posting that on further investigation, it appears that alpha-lipoic acid may increase oxidative stress in tumor cells, but not normal cells, and thus not interfere with DCA.

http://www.thedcasite.com/dca-forum/topic/starting-dca-antioxidantfatty-acid-questions

Anonymous

Still wondering about this subject. I found a reference indicating that B1 is required for pyruvate dehydrogenase, which is the enzyme activated by DCA, so it would seem prudent not to combine DCA with a strategy of B1 inhibition (oxythiamine).

However I have not found any study suggesting that supplemental B1 will increase pyruvate dehydrogenase activity (and thus be synergistic with DCA) in cancer patients.

lauracurnowasw007
    Participant

Even I haven’t found any information on the same. I am planning to visit a dietician. May be he can help.

3D Movies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments Off

Comments are closed.